4-5 steaks of catfish
5-6 cloves of garlic
1-2 medium sized shallots
Bird’s eye chillies (optional)
1 12oz can coconut soda
1. Place fish steaks in a clean bowl and drizzle 4 tbsp fish sauce, 2 tbsp sugar, 1 bird’s eye chilly. Mix well and let it sit in the fridge for about 30-45 mins.
2. Mince garlic, shallots and green onions.
3. After 30-40 mins, caramelize 2 tbsp sugar. Once sugar starts cooking stream in 4 tbsp of water, leave it to thicken and once it thickens add garlic and shallot, let sit for 1-2 mins
4. Add fish to the pot and pour the marinade mixture into the pot as well. Cover and cook for 5 mins.
5. After 5 mins flip the fish and add in 1/3 of coconut soda. Cook for 5-8 mins on medium heat.
6. Turn it to a simmer, add in black pepper, green onions and thai chillies. Let it simmer for about 3 mins.
7. Serve with rice